GUCL: Computational Linguistics @ Georgetown
We are a group of Georgetown University faculty, student, and staff researchers at the intersection of language and computation. Our areas of expertise include natural language processing, corpus linguistics, information retrieval, text mining, and more. Members belong to the Linguistics and/or Computer Science departments.
GUCL holds monthly group meetings about research and maintains a mailing list for its members. (Contact Nathan Schneider to subscribe.) This website will also promote courses, talks, and other events on campus that relate to topics in computational linguistics.
- Congratulations to Arman, Nazli, and Georgetown alum Andrew Yates for winning a Best Long Paper award at EMNLP 2017! The paper is entitled "Depression and Self-Harm Risk Assessment in Online Forums."
- Congratulations to Ophir Frieder, who has been named to the European Academy of Sciences and Arts (EASA)!
- Burr Settles (Duolingo): CS 1/26/18, St. Mary’s 111
- Sam Han (Washington Post): CS, Thursday 2/1/18, 10:00
- Shuly Wintner (Haifa): CS 2/2/18, 1:30
- Rebecca Hwa (Pittsburgh): Linguistics 2/16/18
- Mark Steedman (Edinburgh): Linguistics 2/23/18
- Arman Cohan dissertation defense: CS 3/19/18, 10:00
- PyTorch tutorial: GUCL 3/23/18, 10:00, St. Mary’s 201
- Claire Bonial (ARL): Linguistics 3/23/18
- Luca Soldaini dissertation defense: CS 3/26/18, 10:00
- John Conroy (IDA Center for Computing Sciences): CS 4/20/18, room TBA
- Maite Taboada (Simon Fraser): Linguistics 4/20/18
- Alexander Rush (Harvard): CS, Thursday 4/26/18, 12:30
For those wishing to study computational linguistics or related topics, the following graduate programs at Georgetown may be of interest:
- M.S., Ph.D. in Computational Linguistics
- Offered by the Linguistics department. Research in the department includes corpus linguistics & corpus annotation, digital humanities, natural language processing, and speech processing.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Ph.D. in Computer Science
- One of the main research areas in the department is Information Systems, including machine learning, data mining, information retrieval, natural language processing, and bio- and health informatics.
- M.S. in Analytics with a concentration in Data Science